Sunday, July 10, 2011

Soul-Searchin in Krabi 2009

Krabi, Thailand

Whenever i feel down, Krabi is 'one thing on my mind'..
I love the people, food, beach and a cheap place to relax your mind and even soul!

June 2009 when I discovered Krabi via Air Asia's goholiday.com being a first timer I need to secure my safe journey on solo.
I managed to get a cheap deal with SUNDA RESORT inclusive of a posh room, breakfast, free tuk tuk to the beach (about 5 minutes away), lovely Thais, a complete bliss!

My first day is a bit hard, trying to contact my work colleagues via facebook where the hotel provides for free access. Thanks to my smiling face that I made friends with the staffs and we became friends in the end (they are on my fb lists now).
Tuk tuk captain showed me around Napothara Beach at the other end of my favorite Ao Nang Beach. He was kind enought o take pictures of me while on the way, I got a nice company, he didn't even want me to 'tip' him so i gave him a little present after my first day along the beach.

I recently chopped my hair after my operation back in the Philippines and hated it to the max!
this is ME- I take 'revenge' on my own hair whenever I feel blue, poor hair of mine! Wanted to ban that Korean hair salon back in Baguio City inside SM City for charging me a sky high for a crap style!
Anyways, I stopped looking at myself in the mirror to avoid disappointments...

I had a very cheap lunch along Krabi Resort Hotel where Thai Muslim sell their 'specials' i would say it's dirt cheap! I was talking to myself 'how can they sell, cook infront of you your choices for just 50baht? I had the special Green Curry Chicken with loads of peas and Siam rice, yep, it costs me only 50baht (inclusive of rice) drinking water is at your reached for free ;-)

After my nice and cheap tummy treat, went down heading the beach front...It caught my eyes on the Hair Salon that displays all those braided hair styles in mannequins...went inside an air conditioned full of Human Hair flashes my eyes! A lady named CARA (she's the reason why I love Krabi) greeted me with a 'limited' english trying to get me in, trying to befriend, trying to start knowing me well... struggling hard to make a conversation which I got drowned into.
i wanted something for my hair... new style...new look...new 'hair adventure'. Then she offered me Hair Extension using Human Hair on display, she let me choose, color, length, style.. I had one in mind but it's not the same colour as what my hair is she then asked me to come back in 2 hours as they have to re-colour the hair chosen to fit me.. we discussed, we bargain the price to close deal. She wanted 10,000baht , we closed the deal with 5,000baht (and i gave a heap tips to 3 ketoys (gays) who did on me for almost 4 hours!
Abracadabra! My hair and looks has changed in an instant!
My self-confidence got back... can't wait to go back to KL to show off ;-)

My 4 hours was full of a struggled conversation due to communication issues, Thais doesn't speak English that much, I started to use sign language, borrowed Thai-English dictionary at the neighboor Travel Agency. All went well in the end. Cara is very hospitable Thai, she never stopped offering me coffee, buying me mobile fruit vendor, ice cream (to die for!), some nuts.. 4 hours didn't make me feel bored at all!
they were all nice to me, they took pride on the 'look' they have created on top of my head.

After my 4 hours hair updo, took a walk on the beach, trying to observe people and place where I landed out of curiosity. Sunset is so beautiful...so calm...very different from Langkawi or Phuket. This is a place to soul search...to answer your own questions when life is hard on you.

I started writing 'my questions' in my newly bought Black Book from Czip Lee in KL. I followed what my Life Coach Sharmini asked me to write to keep my balance...perfect place for me, starting to get dark, sun don't want to shine anymore...'he' disappeared, got covered by the thick cloud!

I cried, cried, cried! Trying to release all the pain in my heart...trying to empty it!!!

Across the beach gutter, I saw a pub, took advantage of the Happy Hour 1+1 Heineken for 60baht. The cute waitress seated me inside when i said 'am alone.. non-smoking'.
The place was nice, with few Europeans splurging their money on Champagne doesn't care about the goodness deal with Happy Hour.

There's this Thai Guy strumming guitar playing and singiing Cat Steven's, Simon and Garfunkel, Bee Gee's... that made me enjoy my holiday even more. I offered him a bottle of beer since they are having 1+1 but he rejected, not allowed according to the waitress. So I had 2 bottles...unwinding my mind thru his songs..it helped me a little bit.

Time to go! Curfew or they call it last tuk tuk service is at 11pm. I called the hotel to ask them to pick me up at Burger King (popular meeting place).
Still early for me to sleep so i grabbed my book 'The Secret' read few lines and fell asleep.

Day 2:
Up and about around 9 am to be able to have my free breakfast before they shut at 10am. Checked my fb wall...Bangkok is on ceasefire! Colleagues warned me not to go to Bangkok... asking me if am okay.. sweet!

Cara visited me around 11am at the hotel, we became very very good friends after my hair session. She promised me yesterday to bring me around town by motorbike and she did!
Being a pillion is better than driving ;-0) I saw a lot of Krabi Town. She drove me to the Fossils, Fish Farm, Market, even picking up her 7yrs old Art at school.
We ended the motorbike joy ride at 3-4pm.. I got tired but full of excitement!

She dropped me off at the hotel, took a swim at the pool for a bit.. then took a nap.
Woke up around 9pm, starving so I decided to just have dinner at the hotel not to hassle the guys to send and pick me up in 2 hours.

Had a walk to the entire hotel..very nice, very posh, so green, so clean! Thanks to the best deal i got from Air Asia!
Most guests are Europeans, some from Asia too.
I didn't make more friends with the hotel guests this time as they are in a group...not good to butt in.

Any ways, 3 days is gong to be over...I had Cara and her friends that made my holiday a bliss!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment